Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Mother-ing-hood has changed.

Over the weekend I attended the CHEK homeschooling conference.  I went with plans of getting all pumped up to start our homeschooling.

Friday morning I went to one absolute DUD class.  The class was supposed to be something about you don't have to be a supermom to home school.  Three minutes into the class the speaker got off on a weight loss and whole food eating tangent....and for the next 45 minutes we were stuck.

The next class was by Amanda Bennett.  Being the Unit Study Guru, her class was about unit studies.  By the end I was believing that I could really pull this off and home school too.  The next morning I sat in on another one of her classes.  It was supposed to be 10 ways to spice up your homeschooling.  All of those were interesting...but something else she shared during the class has probably changed my whole motherhood.  Amanda admonished us to teach our children our testimony.  She said no matter what our children need to know that if any thing ever happens to mom that they need to make it to Heaven...because that is where they can find me.  Then she mentioned that your children also need to know your name and phone number as well as their grandparents names and numbers too.

Over the weekend I asked my 6 year old my name...he knew that...but he really didn't know that his grandparents all had full names too.  My 4 year old had no idea that my name was not Mommy.  And he doesn't know our phone number and has no clue that his grandparents aren't Memaw, Nanny and Poppy.  I do realize that not long down that road all of my boys will know that information.  But now I need to start engraving on their hearts my testimony.  They need to know that so that if by adulthood I am not around and they find themselves lost they will know where to go.  Suddenly it seemed that Deuteronomy 11:19 came alive in my heart.
Deuteronomy 11:19
And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!